- Ultra-Filter-Tex material, a long-time staple in our stormwater management product line is an exceptional tool for oil spill clean-up.
- The rolled fabric differs from polypropylene in that it allows water to instantly filter through the material and pulls off the oil selectively as the material is hydrophilic.
- Polypropylene repels the water and this can make it take longer for the oil to be readily absorbed in a surf environment where the oil is no longer a surface sheen, rather it is being broken up in the surf.
- Similarly, when dispersants are used the surface oil is broken up and becomes present in the entire water column. Because Ultra-Filter-Tex is able to pull off both the dispersants and the emulsified oils it is particularly effective when oil and water are mixed.
- There are many ways that Ultra-Filter-Tex can be used. Here are some standard products that are now available:
- Oil Blankets are a concept that is being well received as the last line of defence along the shore and in the surf. Each Oil Blanket (1.5 x 3m) can hold up to 60L of oil.
- Use it as “silt fence type” application where using stakes and wire backing, the Ultra-Filter-Tex can be placed in front of marshes, wetlands and any shoreline where it’s relatively flat water. The ability of Ultra-Filter-Tex to allow water to easily flow through it while pulling off the oil makes it an excellent filter material and protective barrier for sensitive estuaries.
- Oil Booms – available with and without skirts these booms absorb more oil faster than traditional polypropylene meaning less time and money spent on deploying and recovering booms. The skirted model also allows emulsified oil in the water column to be pulled off.